Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Day 9 (June 28th) Waterfalls, Unicorns, and Pizza Crust

Today was a travel day. We drove from Puyo to Quito, with a few stops along the way. One stop we made was a trail called El Pailon, which was where we ate lunch. Along the way, we went to a waterfall more exhilarating than we had ever seen. This day was a day where we heard God’s voice. Literally. Revelation 1:14-15 says, “The hair on his head was white like wool, as white as snow, and his eyes were like blazing fire. His feet were like bronze glowing in a furnace, and his voice was like the sound of rushing waters.” The sound was deafening, the sound of pure power. Thinking of this as Christ’s voice was a radical thought.

            When we ate lunch, we discussed how sweet it would be if Christ came back this week. This brought us to thoughts about creation and heaven. We wondered if the unicorns actually did exist, and were just eaten by lions or grizzly bears on the ark. We discussed different theories on what life was like before the flood. We walked back to the bus a bit more intelligent than the way we came in.

            The drive itself was incredible. The mountains were surreal to me. I remember one time when I realized the sheer mass of rock and tree that were standing almost straight up from the earth. I looked across the valley and saw a small road. It was only then I realized just how small the trucks were that drove across it. This gave me a small idea of how big the God I serve is. That He would mold mountains with His bare hands, shape valleys with a flick of His wrist…why He would care to listen to something as small as me is beyond my comprehension.

            We rounded a corner and I saw a snow capped mass emerging from the green of the surrounding jungle. I literally stopped what I was doing to stare at the immensity of it. It was then that Chris told everyone to look out the right window, and this time I watched the faces of our team light up when they saw this volcano. It was called Tunguragua. It had erupted two years ago causing the people of Banos to evacuate their homes as their city was covered in ash.

            Dinner was a delicious meal of Papa Johns pizza. I believe the record was 10 pieces eaten – the record currently held by Arthur Grant. (And yes, the crusts do count Shelly) After dinner, we washed the dishes and meandered downstairs for our second to last debrief. We had a time of encouragement. The question was how we’ve seen God work through others on the team. We got to use a beach ball as a prop, throwing it to who ever we wanted to recognize. I am pretty sure it lasted over 2 hours. There were many tears, and even more thank you’s. Prayer and worship came after. I can honestly say that with this team, I have not felt the Lord’s presence quite that strongly in one room. I was shaking with His presence. He is so good, and He has worked nothing short of miracles in lives of the youth on this team.

Rowan Opheim







No comments:

Post a Comment